ROTTNEST ISLAND AUTHORITY
PILOT BOATHOUSE EXHIBITION
The Pilot Boathouse at Wadjemup/Rottnest Island was built in 1846 as part of the role of providing guidance to ships through dangerous island reefs. Today, the heritage building provides an important educational insight into the maritime history of the island.
Discus was engaged by Creative Spaces to deliver a signage and graphics package as part of the rejuvenation of the Pilot Boathouse exhibition.
WHAT WE DELIVERED
Discus worked to the comprehensive signage package designed by Creative Spaces to deliver a range of graphics and fabricated signage.
It was an exercise in tight timeframes and value management with special considerations for the heritage nature of the building and coastal location of the boathouse.
Signage included direct printed ACM with pan folded edges to create a streamline yet robust signage solution for the coastal elements.
We engineered a fixing method for the fabricated powder coated aluminium frames that was sensitive to the heritage structure.
We produced direct printed silver birch plywood with clear coating to create artefact display signs.
Discus organised the freight of all signage items and completed the installation over two days.
The rejuvenation of the Pilot Boathouse was carefully designed and executed with special consideration for the building’s heritage and coastal location.
The result is an engaging and educational exhibition space that provides insight into the maritime history of Wadjemup during the 19th and 20th centuries.